humming interconnects

I have a set of used Klyne dragonfly interconnects.

I had them connecting my new turntable to the Klyne pre -- and I was hearing a hum... so I checked the ground, etc.

I determined it was the interconnects -- the set I substituted do not hum and when I connected the Klyne's to the AUx -- the same hum.

any ideas how to fix or are these interconnects done for? what would cause this?

thanks.
relsteamboat
Not sure what you mean by having checked the ground. Is there a separate lead to connect turntable ground to preamp ground/chassis? If not, that figures to be a contributing factor, even if one was not present with the other interconnects either.

Are the ac power cords of the turntable and preamp plugged into the same outlet strip or outlet duplex, with no isolation or filtering between them? If not, that could also be a contributing factor.

Also, if the turntable has a two-prong non-polarized ac plug, you might try reversing its polarity. If it has a three-prong plug, you might try isolating the safety ground prong with a cheater plug (a 3-prong to 2-prong adapter).

Beyond that, the most likely cause is high shield resistance (or an open shield connection) in the Klyne interconnects.

Regards,
-- Al
hi -- I was using the interconnects with my Pro-Ject turntable. I thought it was a ground issue, but its the interconnect.

Once I swapped the cable the hum went away.
I had the exact same problem with a low cost set of NBS cables between my table and pre. I was very supprised as even though these were low end, NBS, they were still pretty spendy.
Once I swapped the cable the hum went away.

I understand, but I was suggesting that there conceivably could be other contributing factors, which the Klyne's may bring out to a greater extent than the other interconnects, perhaps due to having higher shield resistance. Although I would guess that the likeliest possible cause would be an outright defect in the Klyne's, such as an open shield connection.

Regards,
-- Al