Hum in phono that comes and goes

I have a strange hum that I hear when I touch my tone arm, but not all the time. When I move it off of a record that I just played, it does not hum. If it sits for a while like before I get another record to play, it will hum when I touch the tone arm to place it in the lead in groove. If I repeatedly touch it the hum reduces and after several touches will go away, so this seems like some sort of capacitance issue.
Is this the cartridge, phono amp, or pre amp, and how do I track it down.
And just to add to the strangeness, if I touch the arm and the pre amp chassis (not phono amp), the hum will disappear.
128x128mrvordo
Tough problem. Just a guess, but I would suspect the phono stage or its power supply. And a conceivable scenario would be that a capacitor in the power supply that is connected between AC "hot" and chassis/AC safety ground for purposes of filtering high frequency noise is electrically (not physically) leaky. If so, the transient caused by touching the arm, especially if that is done at the same time as touching the preamp (which would provide a path from the tonearm to AC safety ground via your body), momentarily affects the phono stage grounds and "shocks" the capacitor into some semblance of normalcy, temporarily.

As I say, though, that is all just a speculative guess.

It might pay to open up the phono stage and its power supply and examine the capacitors for discoloration or other signs of problems. The kind of AC filter capacitor I'm referring to would be located near the AC input connector of the power supply, and would NOT be a big electrolytic, although it would be a good idea to examine those as well.

Beyond that, I'm not sure what to suggest other than trying a different phono stage if possible.

Regards,
-- Al
If your tonearm has a removable headshell, check the contacts between the headshell and the tonearm, also make sure it is tightened fully. Without more deatiled information, it is difficult to isolate the issue as several others have pointed out.

Good luck.
Al, I think you might be on to something. I know one of the traces in the phono had previously come loose and I had just soldered it back in place when I replaced the caps. I've been suspicious of that connection in particular. Maybe I got too much solder in the area and it is the problem. But I'll open them up and check everything like you suggest.
Thanks