Hum in ARC Ref 3 not on 0 but 1-103 light buzz

I'm suddenly experiencing a strange phenomena with my ARC Ref 3 (250 hrs on the tubes). On the 0 setting of the volume "dead quiet" with 1-103 a constant sound like the sea whispering noticable on 2 meters from the speakers. Any idea where this comes from? It is from both the two speakers. Tube problem?

Thanks in advance!
broederen

Showing 4 responses by lak

I have a Reference 3 that was dead quiet for a year using RCA and XLR interconnects. All the sudden one day I got a hum which only occurred when using the CDP.
I replaced the power tubes in the Reference 3 and the hum was gone. As an experiment suggested by my dealer I put the original power tubes back in the Reference 3, using the RCA interconnects the hum was back, switched to the XLR interconnect and the system was dead quiet again. The Reference 3 does that sometimes.
Although there are only 250 hours on your tubes (is that correct, are you the original owner?) if the power tubes are out of balance it will create annoying sounds. Give ARC a call and discuss this with them if you are able to eliminate the ground loop hum theory.
Personally, I think itÂ’s the power tubes.
John,
Good question.
But then again, I expect that from you! :-)
Good job to all.