Hum and the PS Audio P300

I've had a hum in my system for several years. Its no mystery. Its caused by the different ground between my stereo (house ground) and the grounding of my Cable TV's (AT&T Broadband)ground. I've tried spliters and the little box with cable connectors on each end and a dedicated ground. None of that works. I upgraded from a ARC LS2B to a Sonic Frontiers Line 3 and the hum dropped 10db so I've lived with it. The question is I'm considering the purchase of a PS Audio P300 power plant for my CD and preamp's power. Can I expect the hum to go away or get worse? I can terminate the hum totally if I either disconnect the TV cable or isolate the DVD player which is connected to the TV from the preamp.
keis

Showing 1 response by stehno

I believe you have several possibilities to resolve the hum.

1. Disconnect all grounds for all equipment and/or
2. Ensure that all equipment is running off the same circuit as the tv/vcr, etc.. Your sonics and equipment especially your amp will suffer as a result or

3. Ensure that all components are running off the same phase of 115 volts at your service panel.

Disconnecting the ground on all outlets should cure the problem while also providing greater sonic benefits since the ground has a way of introducing additional AC noise into the components. In the long run, I would perform 1 and 3 and you should never have a ground loop hum again.

-John