How would you start with 5K?

I am getting started and want to get the most enjoyment for $5K in Home Theater. Music is key, but I cannot afford the best of both worlds. I live in an appartment so I don't want to over-do-it. I have about $5K to spend and I am planning to start with a Denon 3801 (new) and a pair of B&W 804's (used) and HTM-1 (used). I already have a Sony S550D and some speakers (nothing special) for the rear channel. With time I want to add an Amp, better sources and better surround speakers. What would you do?
white_noise

Showing 2 responses by chaskelljr2001

White_noise:

A Denon AVR-3801?? B&W 804's?? (granted that they are used...... but) And a B&W HTM-1?? Before I go any further, may I ask you, what is the size of your apartment?? To be getting speakers like the B&W 804's and then powering them with a powerhouse like the Denon AVR-3801, I take it that you must either live in a very large apartment, or you must be quite friendly with your neighbors. I live in an apartment too, and there's no way in hell I could use gear like that in my apartment (which apparantly, is quite a bit smaller than yours).

But anyway, the gear that you have listed thus far?? Well, you are on the right foot. But being that the Denon AVR-3801 A/V Receiver already has a surround sound processor built-in, I would be content with just that, and I would go on and build from there. In time, I would start my additions with a new (and better DVD Player...... maybe a Pioneer Elite DV-37 (about $1,000.00 MSRP...... but you can obtain for around $650.00 or so..... Or a Sony DVP-S9000ES for about $1,500.00......... and unlike the Pioneer Elite DV-37, the Sony is not as widely discounted) DVD Player. Afterwards, I would go on and add a Denon 2 Channel Amplifier (to keep in tonal harmony with your Denon AVR-3801..... I would think that after spending about $3.5K+ on the AVR-3801 (or is it really the AVR-3800), I sure as hell wouldn't be upgrading it NO TIME SOON), and then I would add a subwoofer and buy better quality speakers (they don't have to be B&W 804's, unless that's what you want down the road) like the B&W 601 MkII's or ultimately, the B&W 805's as your surrounds later on. The other poster that has posted before me?? Well, I like his idea about adding some room treatments to your listening/viewing area as well. Living in an apartment and all, with the kind of equipment you got, I would consider that a necessity.

When you are done, you are going to have a very good system. Good luck.

--Charles--
Thanks "Kthomas":

That was what I was referring too (the Denon AVR-5800). And I am sorry for totally misinforming the guy. There is in fact a Denon AVR-3801 available. This is a new model, and more than likely, it is likely to retail anywhere from $1,500.00 to $2,000.00, putting him WELL within reach of his goals. The Denon AVR-3801 is a very nice receiver by the way (I have downloaded the brochure two days ago). Again, my apologies.

--Charles--