How will you split $3000 between phono and cart ?

A jittery situation:
I am looking to buy a phonostage cartridge combination. Budget is $3k for both. I can buy preowned phonostage but cartridge has to be new. TT is a Nouvelle Platine Verdier and tonearm is SME 3012 S2.

Now, I can either go ahead and buy a very good phonostage and a entry-mid level MC cartridge or I buy a very good cartridge and a decent entry-mid level phono. I have listed the possible options:

Option 1:
Choose any of these phonostages:
1. Naim Superline - $2300
2. ZYX Artisan - $2000 (used)
3. 47 labs phonocube - $2500 (used)

Choose any of these cartridges:
1. Ortofon Rondo Red
2. Ortofon 2M Black
3. ZYX R50 Bloom
4. Sumiko Blue point Evo III

Option 2:
Choose any of these phonostages:
1. Lehmann Audio Black Cube SE ($1100)
2. Trigon Advance ($1300)
3. Ray Samuels Nighthawk ($1000)
4. PS Audio GCPH ($1200)

Choose any of these cartridges:
1. ZYX R100 Yatra
2. Ortofon Cadenza Red
3. 47 Labs McBee

You may suggest a combination that is not in this list. I would be happy to research it further. The situation is I have to compromise somewhere, but where ? My TT experience is very limited so is my exposure to analog gears so please help with your experience and suggest what would you pick if you were me.
pani

Showing 1 response by mulveling

Get the GCPH and Cadenza Red. Both sound extremely good; I've had both the GCPH and the predecessor Ortofon Kontrapunkt ("a" and "c") in my system, and have fond memories of them. I've also extensively heard the 2M Black, which is an awesome cart - but the Cadenza/Kontrapunkt is better if your phono stage can handle a low-MC, and the GCPH surely can. The Kontrapunkt/Cadenza line is fantastically musical; my hangup on the higher-end Jubilee/Windfeld is that they're too analytical...and kinda bright.

I'm also a tube fanatic, and I'm not sure you're going to significantly outperform the GCPH without spending much more money OR stepping up to tubes.