how to tell if a TAD 803 is 2005 2 way version?

"2005 produced 2-ways (last of them close out priced, now gone) have a crossover with a main driver that plays up to 3kHz - many said this speaker is too hot on top. Newer 2006 crossover-less design has a 10k main driver that is directly wired to the binding posts, plays close to flat on top."
paul

i bought a pair from a nice audiogoner who didn't realize there was an 803 and an 803sd (mine just say 803) and then i just read paul's post quoted above, so i'm wondering how i can tell what speaker it really is as i really wanted to try a single driver speaker.

as always, thanks for any help everyone
thomp9015

Showing 3 responses by musicdoc

well, first it's not really a single driver speaker. it's a wide range driver coupled to an attenuated tweeter. semantics.

i suppose the best way is to open them up. if there's a crossover inside, it's the two-way. if there's no crossover per se, but one resistor in the tweeter circuit, it's the other.
my post was in no way intended to be an indictment, criticism, sarcasm, condescension, or the like.

and no offense, but read your own reactionary post and see if it doesn't in some way reflect what you presumptuously infer about me. everyone is free to his or her own opinion, truth, reality etc.

i was simply making a point, which is the seller is misrepresenting the product to an *eensy weensy* degree. single driver by definition is just that--no more, no less.

that said, i own and enjoy what i would call the "wide range" version.

peace. may we all in some way benefit from each other's input here, even with the limitations of language, the limitations of words on a screen devoid of intonation or intention.
still interested in whether your speaker is a crossover model or crossoverless. i listened to both, and imho the latter is considerably better. fyi the last time i checked the site the crossoverless model in black was $189 (shipped price when using a postal m.o.).