How To Safely Ship Cartridges For Retip

Now I am not worried about securing them in the box, I got that part down.

What I am worried about is safe and timely arrival. I am shipping a Transfiguration Proteus and ZYX 4D for replacement diamonds, probably to VAS. The MSRP of these two cartridges was $10k when new, in used condition certainly the value is lower. But if they are lost I would essentially spend equivalent to MSRP for like replacements.

How do you ship and insure high dollar items such as this? Given the recent news about USPS I am hesitant. Although I was thinking of using a registered parcel, but I don’t think I can insure for a significant amount. FED EX is what I typically use, but their capacity seems to be maxed out these days, and packaging takes some odd routes.

Anyone have any tips they are willing to share about sending a small and light but high value package these days?
neonknight
I have shipped items via FedEx (it might have been UPS, can’t remember) with high valuations ($5k).  I had to go to a specific depot to do that, which locks the packages up.  Getting paid on a loss is another story, but as long as you have receipts you stand a chance of recovering.  
I have shipped and received thousands of uninsured packages over the years (international shipping) and never lost any of them! 

Stop your paranoia and ship your worn cartridges with any available shipping method. Your chances for “lost in transit” is near zero. 

Use original packaging to secure cartridge - double box with plenty of poly puffer, styrofoam popcorn etc. Pick FedEx or UPS if you can't stomach USPS.  Insure for whatever amount you can support with documentation. Say Hail Mary three times and drop package off. VAS and others will usually send back via USPS unless you specify - at your cost - make sure you specify insurance amount.  USPS only offers insurance up to $5k for priority  mail.

A lot depends on your risk tolerance. I only insure for a couple of hundred dollars - just to let them know there's something valuable in there. There is always a possibility that the package may get lost, but the probability is low.  It has happened to the unfortunate few.