how to run a 230 volt line from my panel??

I am getting a piece of equipment from europe that is set for 230v- I called the manufacturer and they said it can not be rewired to 110 I should simply run a 230 line= i already have 12 gauge wire ran to the stereo room- Is it just a matter of getting a 20 amp 230v breaker for my elec. panel-
Can i use the outlets I have now and a USA type power cord or what do I need to do?- thanks
fluffers

Showing 3 responses by jea48

Just for every ones information.

NEC 2011
Article 210.6 (A)
Occupancy Limitation. In dwelling units, and similar occupancies, the voltage shall not exceed 120 volts, nominal, between conductors that supply,

(2) Cord-and-plug loads 1440 Va, nominal, or less or less than 1/4 HP.

Fluffers,

It's a CDP.... Power consumption is next to nothing. JMO buy a small step-up transformer.

Also worth mentioning the 230V CDP was designed to be fed from a 230V AC grounded power system. A hot, (the ungrounded conductor), and a neutral, (the grounded conductor).

Good chance only one line, the hot conductor is fused inside the CDP.
Good chance the power switch is a single pole and only breaks one line, the hot conductor.
Again I strongly recommend that you get an electrician to do this for you this way you should avoid any costly mixups.
04-17-13: Pbnaudio

Ya, and if the electrician is a State licensed electrician with any smarts he will tell Fluffers he can not install a 240V branch circuit for his/her CDP. Even if Fluffers insists.

The electrician is the professional here in the eyes of the AHJ, (Authority Having Jurisdiction).
The electrician/Contractor will own the installation for life. And any future lawsuits that could go along with it.
LOL, the professional will lose if he tells the court the customer insisted!

Liability alone would/should make the electrician think twice! There are want to be's out there though.....
Jea,

Why do you think there is any "risk" in installing a 220V line in a residential setting. If done properly there is no more risk in this than a 120V line. There are special outlets for just this purpose.
04-18-13: Pbnaudio

Pbnaudio,

It does not matter what I think. I merely stated the fact that in a residential dwelling unit, per code, it is prohibited in this case.
If you have a 240V window air conditioner that draws more than 1440 Va, that's fine. That meets code.

NEC 2011
Article 210.6 (A)
Occupancy Limitation. In dwelling units, and similar occupancies, the voltage shall not exceed 120 volts, nominal, between conductors that supply,

(2) Cord-and-plug loads 1440 Va, nominal, or less or less than 1/4 HP.

Key words here are "In dwelling units, and similar occupancies,"

"(2) Cord-and-plug loads 1440 Va, nominal, or less or less than 1/4 HP."

1440 Va , nominal or less.

I didn't write the code. The AHJ could care less about the OPs new 230V CDP.

The receptacle and plug you sited in your post are NEMA standard devices and are UL Listed for uses that fall under the guidelines of NEC.

In a commercial building you can have as many 240V receptacle outlets for loads less than 1440 Va you want using the recepts and plugs you linked in your post.
You just can't do it, by code, in your dwelling unit and similar occupancies.

I am still waiting for someone on Agon or AA to post a new thread, who just bought a newly built house, asking about all those breakers in the electrical panel that have a green test push button on them. AFCI breakers.... Audio enthusiasts are going to love them.
Jim