How to replace a tweeter in a KEF Reference Two?

Anyone out there have any idea how to get at the tweeter in a KEF Reference Two? I have a bad tweeter, at least I know it isn't producing sound - and want to check the wiring before I order a new driver, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get into the cabinet to the driver. The local boys out here won't help, they just want me to bring it in so they can sell me new speakers.
Thanks,
James
slaw3

Showing 2 responses by 883dave

What model is this speaker?

With the Model 4~2...I had a bad cold soldier joint on one of the bass or mid bass drivers (the dealer was vague).

He stated that they had to go through the bottom of the cabinet...into the internal cabinet (I understand there is a cabinet inside of a cabinet which pulls out)). At one point they said they had to order a special tool in order to get inside. They also said that their repair person spent something in the order of 20 hours in the process. In the end the speaker had to be shipped to Kef's head office in Canada to be repaired

Hope this is of some help.

Maybe you could contact Kef in England for instructions.
Try placing the speaker flat on the floor . There should be four bolts just back from the spike / gold leg holes. Undo the bolts and the black plinth should come off. I believe the front panel does not come off from the outside, rather is secured from the inside.

You might also try to unscrew the crossover plate (on mine it is attached with wood screws into the cabinet) and as bignerd states hot wire another tweeter into the array and see if it works (the wires are very short and are soldered, so it may be difficult). The tweeter and the midrange in the uni-Q are seperate items, the tweeter sits in the middle of the midcone. I have helped a friend replace the tweeter in a set of the Q series, so am assuming the reference to be the same.

From what my dealer said when they took mine apart, under warrenty, it is not an easy task, and is very time consuming and they needed a special tool.

If the above does not work I agree with Bignerd...call Kef and ask