How to properly put audio equipment on top of an antique buffet cabinet?

Dear,

My granddad recently had to move from his house to a retirement home and I acquired some paintings and an awesome antique buffet cabinet. It’s a sturdy handcrafted piece, but the top is not entirely massive wood. I use two MDF boards as a bridge to host my NAD M2 and M50. I’m curious to learn from your advice on how to improve this.

- The units were next to each other as you can see in the picture, I’m still experimenting. What would be best?
- Should I search a marble or granite stone slab to put underneath?
- Is there some small audio furniture that could be used?

Thanks upfront,
Koen
128x128koenvingerhoets
OK, so the construction of the cabinet changes things. You could use one large MDF base if you use the Herbies under the components. Even though MDF is not great material for sonics, the Herbies would absorb vibration and and the MDF would not influence the sound.

Or use finished bamboo as the platform. It is dense and when used under components it provides neutral sonics. Use Google to find the right size of bamboo.
BTW, using glass as a platform does not produce neutral sonics.
Buy a good wood cutting board from IKEA or Bed Bath & Beyond with felt underneath
Thanks heaps again.
Based on your feedback, I obtained 
  • GAIA II feet to decouple speakers from the floor
  • 8cm (3.14") thick solid oak blocks for the speakers, with the Gaia underneath
  • Herbie's Fat Dots 
  • 4cm (1.57") thick solid oak block for the components, with the Fat Dots underneath

Looks good, sounds good. Now I want to run Luc Arbogast's version from the Game Of Thrones title theme through it to hear the difference... but not when the kids are asleep :)
The only reason to put anything underneath the electronics would be to protect the nice buffet. Sonically there is no need at all.