How to place speakers at the optimum height

OK Agoners, How do you determine and place the speakers at the optimum height? If it's book shelves than it's pretty easy, you just buy an adjustable speakers stand and try it out. But what if you have floor standers? Are they already design to be at the optimum height? I don't think it would work for everyone since there are 6'5 guys and 5'6 guys so ears level are different. Is there any "audiophiles" lives in the vicinity of 95138? I like to check out some other people system to compare to mine and see what I'm missing if any. I'm pretty new to this high cost hobby so I would appreciate it if someone could show me their system. Thanks.
min888

Showing 1 response by polk432

I agree with Zman but... make sure you level the speakers and make sure they do not rock side to side or back and forth. You can also try toeing them in some. Ex. 15'' from the back wall outside corner 16'' and inside corner 14''(middle of speaker 15'') then take 1 or 2 laser pointers (stand behind the speakers and aim them (from the outside corners) toward the wall behind where you sit) and have the lines crisscross about 1 foot behind your head. You may need to try several attempts or adjustments, but maybe it'll work for you. Lots of luck.