How to pack speakers w/out original boxes?

Help! I need advice on how to pack speakers,[Dahlquist 9c's], that don't have their original boxes. Speaker dimensions, Height: 23in., Width: 15in., Depth.: 12in.. Does anyone sell boxes big enough to ship these? They weigh 55lbs. each. What other packing materials should I use to protect them? Thank you in advance for your experienced Audiogoner wisdom! I'll take any advice that you all can give me.

Dave
128x128comedychief

Showing 2 responses by polk432

Use the 2 and/or 4 inch round foam noodles especially in each corner. They are usually sold in 4 foot lengths, and can be cut to size across or in half lenghtwise. Use them and double box even if you have the original boxes.
If you know how to pack, you can make boxes stronger than the originals. It takes a little time, but you can use thicker and better foam sheets, cut round foam noodles for the corners and line the second box with protection also. I always keep the original boxes for everything, but I also add protection to the inside box and use an outer box on top of that. Pass on or split the shipping with the buyer. Better safe than sorry.