How to Listen ??

i am mostly a newbie to all the audiophile stuff..
but i've been a sound/music lover all my life ..

so i wanna know .. HOW do you guys listen??

what to look for..

i can't understand how u can see the minor differences between similar amps or speakers..

and i have a lot of difficulties with attributes..

is it like race driving ?
SEAT TIME!!! ??
:p

what should i do to develop more my listening sense...

thank you all :)
jinmtvt

Showing 1 response by caterham1700

I try NOT to *listen* and in particular I try to avoid the trap of watching the music but rather sense how I respond to the music being presented.
I judge a component and systems by their ability to move me emotionally,how well they communicate meanings, how they help me to appreciate and understand the intentions of the artist,their skill and technique as well as the way that the performers relate to one another and to the music itself.
I judge components also by their ability to suspend disbelief and dissappear.
A good system/component should effectively become *invisible*.It should not call attention to itself by reminding you that it is a device that makes *musical* sounds or produces impressive effects.
It must remind me and hopefully fool me, into believing that I am listening to living,breathing Music.
It should not behave like a sonic pinball machine or static aural sculpture .
If the component/system doesn't pass these initial tests I move on.
Only,if it can capture the essence and spirit of the performance, will I listen for the more technical aspects of why the system makes me respond, such as how it times and paces; the dynamic contrasts (both macro and micro);note shapes;the tonal, timbral, harmonic and textural features and the transparency, ease, flow and naturallness of the presentation.

Ken