How to know if GAN-fet amp and Lyngdorf 2170 (as a Pre and Dac) are compatible

I have no experience matching separates but have been advised to confirm compatibility between amp and pre to avoid performance issues.  The person warning me did not elaborate on what problems there could be, but suggested I will be good if the pre-out voltage is 2 or higher.  He mentioned 2.8 as an example.  Some pre-outs are as low as 1v, he said, which is not good.  I have a text into the US rep for Lyngdorf about the pre-out voltage, but suspect there could be more to ensuring good compatibility.

What if the voltage is 2?  Would it be good but not as great as if it were 2.8?   Or is it fine as long as it’s over a certain minimum value?

Another person suggested I “make sure the gain on the amp and the pre-out match”.  It seems a poor match can lead to the inability to adjust volume in adequately small increments.

I am accustomed to very precise volume control as the Lyngforf adjusts in 1/10th db increments.  I don’t necessarily have to have it that fine, but wouldn’t want to lose the ability to set volume where I choose.

If those in the know would be willing to bring me up to speed, I sure would be grateful,

Thank you,

rc22

Showing 1 response by ricevs

A two volt output on a DAC means.....two volts at 0db on a CD. This is the industry standard. If your amp has 26db of gain.....like the LSA Voyager does....then that means it has 20 times gain. There are practically no CDs that put out 0db on the CD. Usually peaks are around -6db.....so that means a 2 volt source is really only putting out 1 volt peaks on the highest recorded CDs. One volt times 20 times gain = 20volts......divided by an 8 ohm speaker that is 2.5 amps....times 20 volts = 50 watt peaks. If your speaker is 87db sensitive (this would mean maybe 83 at listening position then one watt gives 83......10 watts gives 93 and 100 watts gives 103db. 50 watts would be under 100db. This would be for the highest recorded discs. If the disc were recorded very low then you would not get anywhere near as much level of sound.......so it depends on the sensitivity of the speaker, how loud you listen and the recorded level of the recording. This is why I like to see at least 3 volts (1.5 in reality) on the output of a DAC or DAC pre to run straight into an amp. Another advantage for high sensitivity speakers. If you use a separate preamp then you usually have plenty of gain as most preamps have at least 6 db of gain......but the Lyngdorf?....you need to get a spec from the manufacturer. If I was a manufacturer of such a product I would have 4 volts as my standard. This way it can drive most speakers with most digital sources.

There are ways to increase the gain of an amp. The input buffer on some Class D amps is simply a buffer set for whatever gain the manufacturer wants. If you change a couple of resistors in the first buffer you can increase the gain 6 db or more......a no brainer on some amps. Some amps come with variable gain setting.....like the Premium-Audio amp has a choice of 26, 28 and 32 db gain.