How to know if GAN-fet amp and Lyngdorf 2170 (as a Pre and Dac) are compatible

I have no experience matching separates but have been advised to confirm compatibility between amp and pre to avoid performance issues.  The person warning me did not elaborate on what problems there could be, but suggested I will be good if the pre-out voltage is 2 or higher.  He mentioned 2.8 as an example.  Some pre-outs are as low as 1v, he said, which is not good.  I have a text into the US rep for Lyngdorf about the pre-out voltage, but suspect there could be more to ensuring good compatibility.

What if the voltage is 2?  Would it be good but not as great as if it were 2.8?   Or is it fine as long as it’s over a certain minimum value?

Another person suggested I “make sure the gain on the amp and the pre-out match”.  It seems a poor match can lead to the inability to adjust volume in adequately small increments.

I am accustomed to very precise volume control as the Lyngforf adjusts in 1/10th db increments.  I don’t necessarily have to have it that fine, but wouldn’t want to lose the ability to set volume where I choose.

If those in the know would be willing to bring me up to speed, I sure would be grateful,

Thank you,

rc22

Showing 5 responses by rc22

Thanks Ric.  Very much.

I clarified my text to the factory rep based on the details in your post and when he replies I should have what I need to determine compatibility between the two pieces.
Here is the reply from Lyngdorf:

“….1. The maximum output level of the analog output is 4V but you can reduce the level in the output setup to match the connected power amplifier.
2. The amplifier gain is dependent on the level setting in the output, so you have the option to match the max output level - or the gain if you prefer to call it that - to the power amp in use.

The volume control in the TDAI amplifiers is working in extremely small steps which means that even if you use only a fourth of the volume wheel scale there is very good resolution. Still it makes sense to match the output level to the power amp in use.”

Ricevs:

I can connect and go or I can play around adjusting the pre output.  But it seems to have your stated preference of 4v.

Soix:

I have experience bringing in new gear to evaluate for SQ performance in my system, whether it be streamer, integrated, power conditioner or tweaks, wires, etc.  The GAN-fet amp will be the first “separate” (amp or pre) I’ve ever connected.

So I thought it imperative to make sure no incompatibility between the two pieces would keep me from hearing the full potential of the amp in its current stock form as I assess whether it actually does sound good—hopefully very good, to me.  Over time, well past the honeymoon period.

But then great mods can breath new life into a piece, if one is fortunate to have access to such services.

It was never about the topology, if that is what you mean by “how the amp is built”.   Including the descriptive “GAN-fet”, which is Class D, in my OP was extraneous, for sure, so I can see why anyone might construe it as you did.

Everything worked out.  I ordered the amp.
Thanks for posting, mapman.  I’ve never seen a member with more posts.  Let’s coordinate so I can do an OP that flips your postometer to 20k.