How to isolate a refrigerator?

My kitchen and a refrigerator are above the basement, where my listening room is, and the noise from the fridge's motor is transmitted through the walls and the ceiling.
Any ideas, how to isolate the fridge from the floor?
maril555

Showing 5 responses by maril555

Upon further investigation, it appears, that vibration noise is coming from the AC unit located outside of the house, next to the wall, where my system is. Initially I thought, that it couldn't be the culprit, since the AC unit sits on the concrete platform, that is simingly is not connected to the basement wall, but maybe I just cannot see the whole platform, since it covered with soil, and it is somehow is transmitting to the house.
I will try pads under the AC and see what happens.
The fridge is a little tricky- it is squeezed in b/w the kitchen cabinets, so it's unclear, how I should put pads under it? I will have to wheel it out of that space, then put pads inder it, and then what? How do I move it back into the space? Engineers here- need ideas. I'm clueless.
I only have one idea sofar, actually two- one, is to put sliders under the pads, two is to put pads on the floor, then put a sheet of peg board, ot plywood on the top, and then wheel the fridge on the top of the plywood/peg board.
Theo,
thanks for the info. I'm certain now it's the AC unit, that's causing the problem. The noise in the basement is VERY loud. I can put my hand on the wall and feel the vibration.
I tried rubber and cork pads under the AC unit- no difference, noise is still there.
One thing though- it doesn't seem to be level. Could that exacerbate the problem?
I was thinking of putting the unit in a sand box, sitting on the top of the concrete platfom, it's sitting on now.
The other thing is the lines going from AC into the house.
The hole in the wall, the lines go through, is filled with some kind of elastic material, which seems to be dried out.
Do you think the lines can transmit significant amount of vibration?
PTM,
The noise is strictly mechanical in nature and is coming from the AC unit, located outside of the house, close to the basement wall, where my speakers are
Hevac,
Thanks a lot, very helpful. Im actually having a HVAC guy coming over to look at it. Will see what options are available.