How to interpret the readings from tube tester?

How to interpret the value of a tube tester?

For example, if a seller says his 6sn7 tube has a reading of
98/99 (minimum 50), on TV-7D tube tester, how good are this tube and how much life it has left (i.e. 90% left relative to a new one or something like that)? I know the higher the value the better, but what is the value that defines this tube as a "new" tube?

any resources on how to interpret this value on particular tube tester? I guess the reading varies from one tester model to another.

ake
ake

Showing 1 response by gs5556

A more pertinent question is how does one know the tube tester is accurate/calibrated?

As far as what is left in the tube, the Gm readings will give you a feel of the tube, not any with definite certainty of what's left in it. A good way to figure out how much life is left, the tube should be tested at a lower voltage. For example, test the 6SN7 at both 6 volts and 5 volts. If the Gm remains constant during the switch, the tube still has a good deal of life left. Some tube testers have a switch that reduces the voltage between 5% and 10% during a test - if the reading remains constant, it indicates a good tube; this way you don't have to worry about interpreting specific mho numbers - just the change (or lack of).

Again, what comes out of the amp can be totally independent of what is tested, and you cannot say with absolute confidence that a higher value tube will sound better or last longer than a lower one. It's a crapshoot, buying old tubes.