How to get my money back?

Recently I purchased some cables from a non-audiogon member, paying by wire transfer. A week later,the guy stated that the cables got stolen on its way to the post office (he said he stopped on the way for a drink). He sent me a check which my sister received but misplaced it. Two months have gone by and we haven't been able to find the check. I asked the guy to stop payment of the cheque and issue me another one, deducting all charges. But he has stopped replying to my e-mails and it seems he would be happy to appropriate my hard earned cash? Is there anything I can do to? Okay, I lost the cheque but he also lost the cables! All correspondences have been made via e-mail. I have a bank statement certifying that I transferred the money into his account, and an e-mail from him about the lost cables and his intention to refund me after losing the cables.
Please help.
lall

Showing 1 response by gs5556

Pursue it as if no money changed hands. The demand for payment is not satisfied until the check is deposited or cashed. It is NOT the same as losing cash, money orders, certified or teller's checks. Small Claims court (or equivalent) is the usually the first step for recovery. Contact the court clerk and ask how to proceed (if you go at it alone). Of course, I do not know the other side of the story and by no means is this legal advice.