How to get HIGHEST-rez signal into my dac from a BRP

Right now i play Netflix dvd's on my Mac Mini, with the toslink out to my Benchmark DAC,into my Plinius 8200 MkII amp, into Platinum Audio Solo speakers ( 35Hz is 3dB down point) - no subwoofer has qualified via the WAF.

I'm willing to buy a Blu-ray player BUT only for access to the hi-rez audio they carry ( improved video is secondary)

OK...Now I get barely OK sound on some dvds ( Woody Allen films do ok with sound)...and a lotta times CRAPPY sound off 2-tracks on dvds.
HOW can i get access to the excellent quality audio in Blu-Ray discs DTS-HD Master Audio and/or Dolby® TrueHD?

I heard that the Blu-ray analog outputs are dumbed-down and not hi-rez quality- through the BRP's dac ....and that the desired hi-rez HD Master Audio and/or Dolby® TrueHD only go out via HDMI outputs. As a 2-channel audiophile with great equipment that I got to work synergistically after a lot of work - NO WAY am i going to play movie audio through some all-in-one "AV receiver" !

I am sure many of you fellow audiophiles feel the same way - AND some have solved this problem.

PlEASE, let me know possible solutions or work-arounds to achieve as sweet sound while listening to music as when watching a film.
waterzlife

Showing 3 responses by zd542

"03-23-15: Kr4
Better than high rez? Not unless one goes really cheap."

I don't know what you consider really cheap. Read through some of the threads and you'll see that this a common problem. My $1500 Sony 9000ES that I bought to try out SACD could in no way compete with my Arcam 33 and my Wadia 302 and 861 playing the same album on Redbook.

"Alternatively, with any good player, feed the HDMI to a
compatible DAC (like the NAD) or to a good prepro.
Kr4 (Threads | Answers | This Thread)"

That sounds a bit extreme for music. I don't think the OP wants to go there.

"I'm willing to buy a Blu-ray player BUT only for access to the hi-rez audio they carry ( improved video is secondary)"

Maybe try buying an external Blu-ray computer drive and connect it to your Mac. If you get it from a place like Walmart or Best Buy, you can just return it if it doesn't work out.
"I'm willing to buy a Blu-ray player BUT only for access to the hi-rez audio they carry ( improved video is secondary)"

That's not always a good idea. One of the reasons so many people walk away from high rez is that they buy a cheap player to get them started. The problem with that is if they have a really good CD player they use to compare the formats, it will sound better than high rez.
You should at least read his posts more carefully.

"HOW can i get access to the excellent quality audio in Blu-Ray discs DTS-HD Master Audio and/or Dolby® TrueHD?"

"As a 2-channel audiophile with great equipment that I got to work synergistically after a lot of work - NO WAY am i going to play movie audio through some all-in-one "AV receiver" !"

You then say.

"Perhaps the OP should try a hi-rez quality DVD with his current setup in order to see if the problems are not inherent in his equipment. If so, swapping the DVD drive for a BD wouldn't be progress."

What setup? He doesn't have one. Since he's using his computer as a source, and doesn't have an AV system, I don't see how trying an external Blu Ray drive could not be a good thing. As of right now, he doesn't have a way to play blu ray's at all. If its not the right solution, no big deal. Bring it back. He loses an hour of his life going to Best Buy. There's no substitute for trying something in your own system. Even if it doesn't work out.