how to get good sounding copies of CDs

I have just learnt how to copy CDs using itunes on my G4 Mac. But i am a bit disappointed with the sound of the copies.
I upload the original, using itunes AIFF lossless format, then burn to a (data) CD at slow speed(4X).The copies sound OK but lack space, air, dynamics amd sparkle compared to the original. They also sound a bit shelved down tonally.
Is there something I can do to make better copies or is this as good as it gets?
P.S.Playing on a rega apollo
rrm

Showing 1 response by wizard454

Rrm,
It seems to me any "down loaded" format even the so called lossless versions would still be compressed in someway and not allow for the complete frequency range, detail etc. to be carried through. Then when transfered to a C.D. you would end up with a flat lifeless sound. I know when I plug my IPOD into my main rig I can't listen to it very long at normal volumes I can only use it for low level background music.
However I have good succes when coping from C.D. to C.D. using "Record Now" and make an exact copy. To my ears you can't tell the differance between the two disc's, sound stage, timbre, space (air) all seem to be there.

Power amps - Odyssey Audio Mono Blocks Extreme SE's
Preamps - Bryston BP26 and S.F. Line2 SE++
CDP - Cary CD308 (solid state)
SACD/CDP - Sony SCD333ES
Speakers - Paradigm Reference Studio 60V2's
Sub - Paradigm Servo 15v1