how to fix volume/balance on Tandberg 2080

While not my primary unit, I have retained a Tandberg 2080 receiver for nearly 20 years. Now, the volume and balance controls are cutting out. It is difficult to get sound from the left channel and the volume sometimes fades. Does repair mean new parts or just careful cleaning? If the latter, is DIY feasible? The unit is very attractive and still produces good sound. Any help and advice would be appreciated.
jdh9

Showing 1 response by bob_bundus

Since you're inexperienced with this, take the component to a service shop & have them spray all the controls with Electrowash, a non-oil based electronics cleaning solvent. Some shops will try to cut corners with tuner cleaner, but that's probably not as desirable because while the oily lubricant is good for the controls short-term, the oil attracts & holds dust into the potentiometers, eventually contaminating them back into a noisy condition. Ask the tech if you can observe while he cleans your controls so that you'll know how to do it yourself next time; it's really quite simple but I'm not going to recommend you trying this un-informed. If tuner cleaner turns out to be the better solution then at least you can repeat the process as-needed, once you know how.