How to eliminate system hum?

I have the following
Rotel 1090 amp
Hovland Pre-amp
Sony 777 CD player
Shahinian Speakers
I have this irritating hum/hiss when I turn on the pre-amp. The sound comes from the speakers when the pre-amp is turned on. If the pre-amp is off and the amp is on, the system is totally silent. It seems as if the amplifier is ok. It seems to be doing its job and is amplifying the crappy signal it is receiving.
Thinking my home electric was poorly configured, I had my electrician install a panel and dedicated lines for my system. The problem is now worse!
I don't think the pre-amp is to blame as I had the same problem with my previous pre-amp. I also have a new cd player.
I have read about "floating" the system ground by using 3 to 2 prong adapters on all system power cords. Is that what I should try?
If anyone has any ideas, I'd be very appreciative. Having $20k worth of stuff that sounds bad is no fun!
holzhauer

Showing 3 responses by a1126lin

hi this is probably a dumb question. what does it mean to float the ground and what's a 3/2 adaptor.
i have two system. when i use system 1( mark levinson 336/380s) no hum but system 2 nak pa7 nad nak ca 7, big time humming. all ancillary equipments are the same ( speaker , sources ...etc ) why is that?
thanks for the advice
i try the 3/2 adaptor on my nak ca7 preamp and it reduce the humming at least 50%. there is no humming coming from the amp. what else can i do to eliminate the humming completely.