How to DIY yourself very nice Class D monoblocks

If you want to know what the hoopla is about Class D and want to put together a very nice sounding kit I have a starter recommendation for you.

Go to Parts Express and search for "ICEPower ASP"
Next, look online for Ghent Audio. They make many sets of cases.

You'll need a high power soldering iron, and screw skills.
Between those two, you can put together a very nice monoblock for around $500 a piece.

I highly recommend both. I have no financial interest in either. 
You may need wiring kits, so make sure to order appropriately.
erik_squires
ICEPower and Hypex are some of the best amps on the planet,

Well, I wouldn't go THAT far either. I haven't heard everything, and I haven't had a chance to compare them all with all sorts of speakers.

I am however very very pleased with what I have.

But this is absolutely not something most members of this forum should attemp to build (judging by the consistent daily posted nonsense) 

The kits are super easy to assemble. The IcePower units especially.

Best,
E

Good thread Erik.  

Building your own class D amps is an excellent way to get hi-end sound quality at an affordable price.  The performance levels of the more recent class D modules are, in my opinion, outstanding and this technology has broken the mold on how to attain high quality sound from a home audio system.
     Previously, the only known and accepted method consisted of using large, heavy and expensive traditional class A solid-state or tube amps or ss class AB amps to drive the often very demanding requirements of the various high quality home speakers typically used.  
     Class D amps have broken, smashed?, the traditional mold of how to attain excellent home audio quality for both home theater and music.  Compared to traditional amps, they're smaller, lighter, electrically more efficient, run cooler, less expensive and I believe sound just as good or better.
     What's not to like, right?  I've been using them in my system for about 4 yrs now and can't think of anything. Class D amps are really wonderful.
     So, I completely agree with Erik's recommendation of building class D module based amps.  You can build your own, have them built for you or buy completed amps using these modules under various brand names.
Enjoy,
 Tim 

Erik
Belles reference 150 v2 class ’B’ amp
David has started with a clean slate for the Reference series, and this amplifier bears little resemblance to its ancestors. The 150A Reference V2 is a Class B design that provides 125 watts per channel into an 8 ohm load,. Yup I checked again it is a class ’B’ amp. David has taken the Class B circuit used in the original 150 Reference amplifier, and has craftily applied his engineering savvy in order to tease a higher level of sound quality out of an already excellent design. I keep solid-state gear on all the time, and the Class B circuit design means that the amplifier is not an energy hog.   Fantastic amp. I do not think to many people can pull this off. Very good designer.
Belles reference 150 v2 class ’B’ amp

Well, that certainly IS what is claimed. Interestingly, and sadly, none of the reviews I’ve found explain it. I know of no class B circuit which allows an amplifier to operate without significant distortion through the zero V crossing point, which is why I said earlier it couldn’t be. If I was reviewing such an amp I would have made it a point to explain this.

I don’t know everything, and I’m not an EE, but this is now a very curious thing to me.
This is certainly the first Class B amplifier I've heard of with high end cred.

Best,
E

Post removed