How to copy cassette to CD

I have a CD burner in my PC.
I have a cassette deck.

I have some old cassettes that I would like to copy to CD without spemding a lot of money on something like that Alesis machine I have read about. These are not reference quality recordings so the quality of the recorder does not have to be the best but I would like a decent copy.

Any ideas how to accomplish this for less than a few hundred
dollars?
herman

Showing 1 response by matt8268

I have accomplished this by recording through standard 1/8" mini-stereo plug into computer's sound card (line input) and using shareware (free) recording software Goldwave, available at goldwave.com. Just take the RCA's from your tapedeck or receiver/amp and buy a $3 radio shack plug from 2 RCA females to 1 stereo mini male.

What I did was record an entire side of the tape, then use Goldwave to split it into separate files for the songs, saving them as separate .wav files. Then burn with Easy CD Creator or Nero (which can also be used free for a month or two).

It will definitely not sound perfect, but it's free and you may be surprised at how good it sounds. I would definitely recommend trying this first and then spending extra money only if the sound is not good enough.