How to add a Subwoofer to 2 channel stereo setup?

I hope this doesn't sound stupid, but I am looking to add a subwoofer to my system, but am somewhat unsure about how to do so. I have both a stereo preamp(Classe CP-50) and amplifier(actually a couple of stereo/mono amps- Monarchy Audio SM-70 Pros) which I use to drive my front speakers. However, as they are small bookshelf speakers, they have rather limited frequency response only going down to about 70 Hz or so. I am looking to add a subwoofer to extend the bass response, but don't know how to connect my sub. To what output?

I have tried outputting the signal through a line-level sub/LFE interconnect directly from my DVD player's Digital Coaxial out, and the 5.1 channel analog audio output to my subwoofer's(Sony SW-M 500 or something like that) line-level input while of course outputting the front speakers from the Left and Right channel outputs to my preamp, but this doesn't seem to work as there is no sound coming from my sub although the front speakers apparently sound fine. My preamp being only stereo does not have an "extra" line-level input/output for a subwoofer, so I don't know what to do.

I don't know if it means anything, but I believe I have an "active" powered subwoofer, as I must plug in a separate AC cord into the wall. It also has a volume control, frequency response, phase control and everything.

I am hoping to upgrade my speakers to a more full-range model to match my recent amplifier upgrades(in both sound quality and frequency range), but until then is there anything I can do to add my sub?

Also, does anybody have any good speaker recommendations to go with my above mentioned equipment?

I am seriously considering Totem Arros, but they only reach about 40 Hz according to Totem's specs. I have given thought to some others, but given both aesthetic, space and budget constraints(maybe $ 1K for a pair of speakers used), it has been a difficult search.

Anyway guys, thanks for your help, and take it easy.

Thanks,
The Audio Novice in training ;-)
audio_obsessed_novic

Showing 1 response by ron1264

Actually, modern recording have "stereo" bass, and is not summed to the middle. Older recordings are ther ones that have the bass summed, and this is done on purpose because with record Lp's, if you have out of phase bass, it could actually cause the needle to vibrate so much and pop out of the groove.