How thick should the front baffle of speakers be?

Some manufactures advertise or hype a thick front baffle, two layers of MDF,  if the woofer is as thin as  paper cone how could it change anything. Could be just hype
128x128soundsrealaudio
" Hi, The speakers that I own (Sonist-"Concerto 4") have two inch thick poplar wood front baffles.   I talked with the designer (Randy Bankert) and he said he tried a bunch of different woods before settling with poplar as it was the best sounding to his ears. "
  That's interesting. The old Klipsch Chorus speakers used  1" poplar plywood for the front baffle and I always though that was because it was cheaper. You pick up pieces of differing types of plywood or MDF roughly the same size and tap on them and the range of sound is pretty large so what that guy says makes complete sense. Those old Chorus speakers are my favorite among the Forte, Heresy Cornwall and Chorus.
simonmoon, thank you for being the voice of reality here. Cheers.
The reason they used plywood back in the old days was that they had not developed MDF yet which is a far better inexpensive material to make loudspeakers from because of it's damping characteristics and higher mass. It is much stiffer than plywood. The old speakers were indeed musical instruments and colored beyond belief. Just listen to any Bozak B302A a speaker that was lucky in that it's colorations were euphoric as all get out. But some of the old Altecs were honky old boom boxes. Klipsch did a good job of controlling it. Higher mass and thicker stiffer walls are always an advantage however the speaker manufacturers have to balance that against shipping costs as for most it is a competitive market. People who buy Magico M7s could give a hoot.You have to pay a rigger to get the things into the house not to mention pray that your floor will support them.
You don't get doppler effects off baffle flex the baffle exists to hold transducer to support mid-bass frequency and to limit vibration levels. An over small speaker will require BSC- baffle step correction in its network to compensate if baffles undersize it is why small speakers sound thin. Also aluminum is cheaper by the ton than plywood and it is also lighter why it is used so much over ply it is not better sounding just cheaper to build ship etc.

Huge mono speakers used to be mounted in walls.  When people started making sealed boxes, any half-competent carpenter could whip up an enclosure.  Many speaker companies originated in garages.  Wood, mdf, etc., remains easily to work with, so long as you like flat surfaces.

What would be REALLY interesting would be to test a speaker in two incarnations: identical drivers, identical crossover, identical configuration, identical baffle size, identical internal volume, only different is one cabinet is made of mdf and the other of, say, aluminum.  Now that would make for some interesting comparative listening.