How revealing are Grado sr-60s'?

I just bought a pair of these last month and overall they seem like decent headphones, but im still having problems with the overall sound of my system. I dont know if its the phones, or my electronics but im getting a somewhat bright, grainy sound. Electric guitars seem way too thin and dont flow smoothly enough ( cant think of the correct term).The bass seems sort of weak too, with a focus on treble. My amp is an Onkyo TX-8511 and a Toshiba SD-3950. My gear is not high end by any means, but do i really have to buy a $500 cdp and headphone amp to get good sound out of $70 headphones?
dave123456a1b3

Showing 7 responses by dave123456a1b3

What would make the grados not a good choice for the Toshiba? I dont really see how buying another cheap cdp is going to help.

Yeah, I also own a pair of Sennheiser HD-201 (Cheeeeap $20 phones) and they do sound better balanced than the Grados...but they also sound pretty boring which I hear is their house sound. Maybe I need something inbetween these two.

I was thinking of trying a pair of Sennheiser HD 580's to compare to the Grado's.

I'm really trying to avoid bright speakers/headphones because they seem to really irritate me.

I'm used to listening to music on my MTX 12" 3 way tower speakers, and although the mids and highs suck on these, at least they have bass.

In comparison the bass on the Grado's is anemic at best. Along with having no bass you have to really crank the volume for the sound to open up. By the time this happens the sound is way too loud for me to tolerate.

I'm only 21 and have never been to a concert before. Maybe because im so young and my hearing is still good that these headphones sound bright to me. I bet to an older person with hearing damage bright speakers/electronics would sound normal since the brightness would make up for the hearing loss.

Either way it sucks having good ears and being broke =(

Yes, there is a difference between my recordings, but it seems no matter what album I play im not satisfied. I even borrowed a few Diana Crawl cd's from my mom, along with other better recorded stuff, and im still not getting a good sound. Maybe because I dont like this music who knows?

Anyways, I guess youre right about the MTX's , but what if one were to like the hyped bass sound then what? Oh ya and how did your friend like his MTX's - which model were they?

Yes, most of the music I listen to is some sort of rock, with about 25 percent classic rock- stuff like Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden and Metallica. I know these arent the best recordings, but shouldnt they at least sound somewhat smoother with better equipment?

One more thing I noticed with these headphones ( and every speaker ive owned as a matter of fact) is that I have to turn them up way too loud to make them open up, by this point the sound becomes too unbalanced for me to handle. It may be my hearing as I have big ears and have REALLY sensative hearing.