How popular is Wire Transfer.....

I hear good and bad about using wire transfer to pay for audio equipment, on a site like this or otherwise.
I have not used wire transfer yet, and have had deals walk away because I did not use that system.

I have no idea how one even go`s about doing that.
Some comment and info?
Thanks,
Len W
lwerner

Showing 1 response by cbw723

I agree that PayPal and feedback are good ways to minimize, but not eliminate, risk. So is communication with the seller (the more common scammer, IME). If something seems off about the person, move on.

One thing to watch out for (especially on eBay) is that some people hack into legitimate accounts that are inactive but have good feedback, and run their scams from there. Watch for: prices that are too good to be true, a time lapse in the account's feedback, ads that claim they'll take PayPal but the seller refuses to when it's time to close the deal, any mention in the ad of contacting the seller by email (i.e., outside of the eBay system). In general, a refusal to accept PayPal is a dead giveaway -- IME, no legitimate seller on eBay will refuse PayPal.

If you spot these kind of ads/sellers on eBay (or Agon), make sure to report them to eBay's (Agon's) fraud department.

How do these people live with themselves?