How much weight can an upstair room can hold?

I was " confined" to 2 small empty bedrooms for my A/V gear(14x16 and 14X15)and they are both upstairs. I have added up the weight of all my equipments and racks/stands in one room and it's about 400 lbs so far . I am looking into some mono-amps and some speakers for the other room. Being living in a city that tends to have some " foundation" issue, is it safe to load up another 200 lbs equipments in the other empty room. The builder is no longer in business so ther is not much help there. Any one who is in the same boat can share a thought or two ?
andrewdoan

Showing 1 response by leatherneck1812

Andrewdoan

I am a carpenter, general contractor and builder of all things great and small for my entire life.

A 10 year old house following the standard building codes would allow for 40 pounds per square foot of live load for your floor. Taking 1 room of 14 x 16 with a total of 224 square feet x 40 = 8,960 pounds equally distrubited throughout the room. A 300 pound refrigerator of 33" x 36 " = 36 pounds per square foot. These days lots of folks weigh in excess of 300 lbs. and occupy 1 square foot. I have never heard of someone falling through a floor or colapsing a floor. These loads a very conservative

You have absolutely no worries for your stereo or anything else in your home.

The crack is probably a drywall seam.

Enjoy your system and stop worrying.