How much “suspension of disbelief do you need?”

We (or most of us) believe that it’s very difficult if not impossible to hear an exact representation of the the sound of a live performance on a recording.
The question is how much do you have to delude yourself into thinking it’s the real thing your listening to, to satisfy yourself.
To some it has to to be as close as possible. But others can make allowances for defects in the sound in order to enjoy the presentation.

‘How much do you need?

128x128rvpiano

This hobby, or whatever it is exactly, is like a dog chasing its tail. No one no where is going to achieve a Live performance in their living room. The sooner you realize this, the happier you will become. 

Well, actually I HAVE had a 30-piece concert band, along with 45 audience members, in my living/family room, thanks to an open floor plan and 12-foot ceilings.  Trust me, it can get loud.  Plus having permanent tinnitus from playing in big bands for many decades gives me a pretty good idea of what live sound is.  And I don't stress a bit over whether I can reproduce that in my living room.  Life is too short.

I just want to enjoy the music any way I can. Live, recorded, in my home, in my car, out in public I just want to enjoy the music. You keep claiming and starting the same posts as your standard for a music lover needs to be a live performance. That is a very subjective view that you are entitled to but your view does not have to be the standard for all others. Actually live performances can be a crap shoot as to the quality of said performance. There are 100’s of factors that could influence not only the end sound but also the performance of the musicians. If you think your listening skills are superior to all others and only you can hear that difference goid for you. The rest of us will just enjoy the music the way we like it, 

Certainly recording dependent to some extent. Close miked intimate high resolution recordings sure bring performers in room. Large scale classical orchestras not so much.

Also has much to do with imaging, sound stage system able to reproduce.

For me, this is aspect of performance that should improve with ever increasing levels of resolution system able to reproduce.

Yes, there is a psychological side to listening, but chasing, "...the sound of a live performance on a recording" is a dubious or possibly dissatisfying goal. Aspiring to faithfully reproduce audio as mastered advances the listening experience and satisfaction.