How much sand/shot to put in Dynaudio Con 1Stands?

Hi, I have Dynaudio Confidence 1's with the custom Dynaudio stands and I'm about to fill partway the stands with lead shot and/or play sand. How much lead shot/sand have you found works the best? Have you found any advantage of shot over sand or vice versa? Does putting just pure lead shot into the columns add any sonic quality of its own? Has any one had good results mixing shot with sand? Thanks. Laurence
ldworet

Showing 1 response by ben77059

Years ago, I did a little coin collecting and amassed over 5,000 “Wheat” pennies. I also have been throwing my spare change in a bucket for years and have a huge stash of coins. I have been tempted to take them to one of those coin machines where you dump them in and get bills. Then, I thought I’d like to save a lot of them for my grandkids.

However, these coins take up a lot of room and they are heavy. Fill up a bank sack with coins and you will see what I mean. So, I was thinking I could fill old socks with coins and put them in my Dynaudio speaker stands (or just dump them in).

It would add weight to the stand and be a nice out of the way place to store them. If packed tightly enough, they should not jingle and will be cleaner and easier than sand or lead shot.

Has anyone tried this? Any ideas on how it might effect the sound?

Ben