How much power is to much power?

When is an amp overkill for a speaker? More specifically, I have 91db speakers and I'm considering two SS amps, one 140 watts and the other 200 watts. Are they both too much? Is it too much simply because you're paying for extra power but don't need it, or because it's a detriment to the overall system sound?

Thanks.
128x128jtnicolosi

Showing 1 response by jeffb28451

I have had two types of problems with excess power:

1. Too much gain for my speakers efficiency due to not being able to turn the preamp down enough (KEF speakers, CAT pre, Symphonic line amp). CAT's rather crude volume pot gradations of 3 db or so made one click too low and the next, too high. Also, if you use a TacT or some other digital volume control, a high powered amp into some speakers will have you throwing out bits of resolution when you turn it down, due to the digital nature of Pots.
(I know, I know, for all you TacT afficianadoes out there, TacT manipulates this in the software or something, but I don't need to hear about that here. Take it to the TacT forums. I'm making a point, not selling or defending TacT products.)

2. Many and esp, less expensive volume controls don't "track" the two channels well at lower settings, say below 10-11 o'clock or so. These controls need to be up higher in their range or you will have erratic channel balance.

That's why we call them "systems", each part is more or less interdependent on the other parts. All that said, I like big power sometimes (Soundlabs with Perreauxs at 850 per side, Genesis 501 with Pass 350, totalling 1200 watts per side) I don't mind power.

However, I'm using Lowthers at 105 db in the cabinet and 2 watt 45 tube amps, or even weirder, my First Watt f4, which has a -.5 db gain structure! That's perverse to my last 3 decades seeking power and gain, but lower power=fewer gain stages=cleaner power is a convincing argument when you've acturally heard it.

Nonetheless, you're looking in the big horsepower league. If that's what your system needs and responds to, then I agree: "one can't be too slim or too rich" and you can't have too much power, IF it is under control and properly applied.

Different horses/different courses.