How much more power do 2 Bryston monoblocks use?

I have an ADCOM 5500 amp right now - 350 wpc into 4 ohms. I’m contemplating moving to Bryston amplification and I’m looking at either the 4b ST or a pair of 7b ST amps. So far, I’m doing very well with my electrical service (15A & basically a dedicated line).  I use Magnepan 1.7s and an ADCOM 555 to power a pair of subwoofers.

I know I have some extra headroom to play with. I use a space heater in the winter with settings of 600/900/1500 watts. I can currently play music with the heater on 1500 watts - no problem. My usual method is to turn the heater on full when I’m warming up the system and then turn it down to 600 watts when I go in and listen.

I’m probably still going to want some heat in the winter, though. 😉

The 4b STs will work, no sweat. Anybody ever run into electrical problems switching to the larger mono amps?

Thanks,
Toolbox
toolbox149

Showing 1 response by toolbox149

Thanks to all for the advise and suggestions.  While selecting a new amp based on how much heat I can get off the heat sinks appeals to my sense of whimsy, I'll have to pass on that idea.  If, for no other reason than the effects of heat production, which would be very welcome in the months of December to March, would prove to be equally unwelcome in the months of June to September.   Actually the heat situation is pretty manageable and turning the heater down to the lowest level when I go in and start listening works very well and produces no noise that I can hear.  On top of the heat off my amplifiers I also gain heat from some tube preamplifiers as well as two large candles.  There are times I don't need the heater at all, but I have played music at full volume, with the heater at full volume too.
I guess I can live with a Bryston 4b st. Power-wise, it's just a touch more powerful than my ADCOM so everything should be fine.  Hopefully, I can get it to sound as good as my ADCOM.  (That was actually a very serious statement.)

Thanks!
Toolbox