How much do I need to spend to get a preamp that sounds better than no preamp?

Hello all.
I'm using an Audible Illusions L1 preamp and I think my system sounds better when I remove it from the signal path. Oppo BD105 directly to SMC Audio DNA1 Gold power amp. I have read that there is level of quality you need to hit before there will be an improvement in sound. I can't seem to find what that level is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
honashagen
@honashagen  you ask  question , the answer is very simple
Absolutely no difference how much money you can spend , the  pre
amplifier -is device  can change the sound in only one side- make sound
worse, The  ideal preamp just  no change the sound quality 
bache129 posts07-16-2018 6:51am@honashagen you ask question , the answer is very simple
Absolutely no difference how much money you can spend , the pre amplifier -is device can change the sound in only one side- make sound worse. The ideal preamp just no change the sound quality
Very true bache, the best preamp is no preamp if you can do it, with the source having it"s own digital domain volume control.
But the trouble is a digital volume control in the source will start to "bit strip" (loose resolution) below 75% of full up, if you have to use it below 75% (because it’s too loud) then your next best to no preamp, is to leave it up full. And then use a passive volume control after the source, this way you retain all the resolution and most of the advantage of no active preamp in the signal path.

Cheers George

I bought the Ayre K-5xe and It's in getting upgraded to the latest version now.

Sometime back someone said at least $5000 is what you need to spend on a pre and I now agree. I'm borrowing a Parasound JC2 and it is very nice. I would say definitely better that no pre.  

Post removed