How much do I need to spend to get a preamp that sounds better than no preamp?

Hello all.
I'm using an Audible Illusions L1 preamp and I think my system sounds better when I remove it from the signal path. Oppo BD105 directly to SMC Audio DNA1 Gold power amp. I have read that there is level of quality you need to hit before there will be an improvement in sound. I can't seem to find what that level is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
honashagen
Hi Al, hopefully you already knew this but to be clear I was not attacking you, it was more a reflection of my opinion of Paul McGowan's comments, which I'm not even going to bother to take the time to address. I think George's comment says a lot in that regard.

In my opinion, the most relevant comments on the need for an active preamp are those made by Ralph.
The Tortuga looks interesting.  I tried their buffer when it was "on tour" and it was not bad at all.  The combination of my Goldpoint passive and the buffer sounded quite good but not at the level of my SMc buffer/preamp.  I would have liked to have tried the Tortuga passive + buffer but only had their buffer and not the passive.  I asked them why they don't offer the buffer integral with their passive preamp (it should fit in the big box version they offer) but I think they are just not there yet.
Did I miss anything?
@phomchick  I assume the question is rhetorical, since you and I had an exchange earlier on this thread that relates to your post. To answer it directly though, if in the context of your last post, then 'yes' (BTW, did you try that test I suggested?).

The reason to use an active line stage is to reduce coloration. The coloration can be caused by the cables and the math that derives therefrom (bandwidth limitations, increased output impedance of the source and thus the impedance driving the amplifier).

Gain may not be needed, but buffering the input and output of the volume control so that the source and amp see a constant impedance is. In this way the setting of the volume control may not also act like a sort of tone control.

One way an active line section is handy, especially if a digital source is involved, is how the volume control is used. The technique is to run the volume control of the digital source all the way up, and then use the volume control on the active line section. Especially if the volume control is digital, this has the effect of increasing resolution.

BTW I'm pretty sure that the Oppo uses an analog volume system, but it is chip based and chip based remote volume systems can have their own set of issues. But IMO they are better than using a digital control.
Anthony (Clio09), yes, it was clear to me as to whom you were attacking, but thanks for making sure.

I do think, however, that the explanation Paul McGowan stated is technically plausible, and could very well support the notion that in **some** cases inserting an active preamp between a power amp and a source component containing a DAC could result in performance that is objectively as well as subjectively better than a direct connection. And likewise with respect to my own hypothesis that I presented in conjunction with his.

Best regards,
-- Al