How much do I need to spend to get a preamp that sounds better than no preamp?

Hello all.
I'm using an Audible Illusions L1 preamp and I think my system sounds better when I remove it from the signal path. Oppo BD105 directly to SMC Audio DNA1 Gold power amp. I have read that there is level of quality you need to hit before there will be an improvement in sound. I can't seem to find what that level is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
honashagen
more... 6moons reviewed the Kuzma. It validated many of the things I am now/finally hearing by running signal direct from my 105 outs to amps

Still, I guess I am programmed to place something inbetween, which is why I want a money back guarantee
Hi Al, hopefully you already knew this but to be clear I was not attacking you, it was more a reflection of my opinion of Paul McGowan's comments, which I'm not even going to bother to take the time to address. I think George's comment says a lot in that regard.

In my opinion, the most relevant comments on the need for an active preamp are those made by Ralph.
The Tortuga looks interesting.  I tried their buffer when it was "on tour" and it was not bad at all.  The combination of my Goldpoint passive and the buffer sounded quite good but not at the level of my SMc buffer/preamp.  I would have liked to have tried the Tortuga passive + buffer but only had their buffer and not the passive.  I asked them why they don't offer the buffer integral with their passive preamp (it should fit in the big box version they offer) but I think they are just not there yet.