How much do I need to spend to get a preamp that sounds better than no preamp?

Hello all.
I'm using an Audible Illusions L1 preamp and I think my system sounds better when I remove it from the signal path. Oppo BD105 directly to SMC Audio DNA1 Gold power amp. I have read that there is level of quality you need to hit before there will be an improvement in sound. I can't seem to find what that level is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
honashagen
Clio09 5-25-2018
Seriously, we’re quoting Paul McGowan around here now? Things have gotten a bit worse on this forum than I suspected.
Hi Anthony,

As the saying goes, don’t attack the person making the argument, attack the argument.

Regards,
-- Al
more... 6moons reviewed the Kuzma. It validated many of the things I am now/finally hearing by running signal direct from my 105 outs to amps

Still, I guess I am programmed to place something inbetween, which is why I want a money back guarantee
Hi Al, hopefully you already knew this but to be clear I was not attacking you, it was more a reflection of my opinion of Paul McGowan's comments, which I'm not even going to bother to take the time to address. I think George's comment says a lot in that regard.

In my opinion, the most relevant comments on the need for an active preamp are those made by Ralph.