How much do I need to spend to get a preamp that sounds better than no preamp?

Hello all.
I'm using an Audible Illusions L1 preamp and I think my system sounds better when I remove it from the signal path. Oppo BD105 directly to SMC Audio DNA1 Gold power amp. I have read that there is level of quality you need to hit before there will be an improvement in sound. I can't seem to find what that level is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
honashagen
To be fair, there is no reason to use a preamp if you don’t need the gain (e.g. you are listening to vinyl).  It’s not going to sound better, which is what the OP was about.
Post removed 
phomchick
Personally, I have retired my preamps (I have three to choose from) and have my DAC connected directly to my amplifier. It is better.
+1,
But there are others that live in denial, even if they can do with good impedance and gain matching.

A buffer or gain stage added to a passive with good impedance and gain match can only add distortions/colourations.

Cheers George
Post removed 
There's no technical reason to conclude getting gain in a pre-amp stage won't sound better.
Sure there is. Gain means an active circuit. And all active circuits add noise, distortion, phase and frequency distortions. If you don’t need the gain from the preamp, you can avoid these problems by eliminating the preamp.