How much do I need to spend to get a preamp that sounds better than no preamp?

Hello all.
I'm using an Audible Illusions L1 preamp and I think my system sounds better when I remove it from the signal path. Oppo BD105 directly to SMC Audio DNA1 Gold power amp. I have read that there is level of quality you need to hit before there will be an improvement in sound. I can't seem to find what that level is. Any ideas?
Thanks in advance,
Ben
honashagen

Yes Audible Illusions are a very good active preamps, I owned an AI 3A and loved it.
They did run the tubes very hard in it though, you don’t get much life out of them, I’ve always believed that’s why it sounds as good as the best active preamps I’ve heard.

But the OP and me, going direct sounds the best for transparency and dynamics, and to me and many others a well implemented passive comes in a very close second.
To me any active stages add colouration's and cannot improve on the dynamics against a well implemented passive, they can only detract as they have no dynamic range expander circuit in them, and they wouldn't want to as they sound rubbish. 

Cheers George
I would like to know the proper way to use those gain controls. Audible Illusions is not much help.

honashagen OP
 I would like to know the proper way to use those gain controls. Audible Illusions is not much help.
I would do it so the "master volume control" is around 3 o’clock for normal listening level. That gives you leeway up or down for louder listen or quieter recorded music.

Cheers George
Hi George

You are making an assumption in your last statement:  That an impedance value is all that matters.

Unfortunately, the universe is not quite that simple.  The type of output stage that provides the "100 Ohms" impedance (not resistance...) plays a huge role in the frequency domain performance, which is ultimately what we care about with music as the signal.  

At one single frequency, you may indeed measure 100 Ohms, like say at 1 KHz (a popular choice).  But this value is made up of resistance, transistor gain effects, and parasitic capacitance, of which the latter two are extremely sensitive to frequency, and temperature, and are intimately tied to the circuit design and its parts. 

One of the goals of an amplifier designer is to minimize these effects through a combination of clever design techniques that have proven their mettle.  However, not all output stages have the same frequency response (i.e., impedance at all frequencies).  In fact, there are hundreds, if not thousands, of topologies and permutations, and they all have varying limitations.  Some are good, some are ok, some are mediocre, and none of them are perfect.  Which you get depends partly on design budget, but mostly on the engineer's design experience.

But wait, there's more:  it is the same story for the input impedance of the amp or preamp!  Then, when you combine them together, they will interact in yet a third (new) way!   Especially with complex signals like music. 

So, at the end of the day, it's a crap shoot.  There really is nothing definitive in this crazy world we live in.  With a preamp might better, might not, have to insert a human in the feedback loop and check.  But then that simply becomes their opinion, and how definitive is that?
Most sources have output stages the equal of preamps today, except for wimpy capacitor coupled tube ones.

Cheers George