How much $$ do bells and whistles add to preamp?

Hi All, I’m looking for a new preamp, but I don’t want or need things like home theater bypass, streaming, DAC, headphones, etc. Just a great preamp (maybe with phono). I’m looking at lots of models (Like Classe, Wyred4Sound, Peachtree, etc.) that come with lots of extras, and I’m wondering how much of the price devolves to those add-ons that I don’t want. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated, as usual.

Ag insider logo xs@2xrustler

Not only do the add-ons cost more money but the extras CAN cause sonic distractions as well. This is the premise behind stand-alone units. Many expensive preamps don't include tone controls, headphone amps, phono inputs, etc.

I agree , some of the best sounding preamps are minimalist designs .   I prefer separate everything as it opens upgrade paths and helps put off obsolescence 

I had a Belles Aria integrated amp and loved it!  

@rustler , why not go integrated?  Do you already have an amplifier?

I’ve heard Audible Illusions preamps are nice.  If going separates and just starting out, I’f look into tube preamps, ideally with a sub out as well

If a preamp with an outstanding volume control as well as the ability to adjust the amount of gain on each individual input is important, consider the Coda 07X. It’s volume control is the best in my limited experience.

Integrated might be a sound option (hehe)

Seriously, I stumbled across Odyssey Audio a couple years ago ... thank the Lord!

Give them a look!