How much difference does a phono stage make?

I am using a NAD PP2 phono stage right now and I am interested in upgrading. I am really interested in the Audio Research PH3. It can be found for around 700-750 used. How much difference can I expect? 700-750 worth?

Table- VPI Scout

Cartridge- Benz Micro ACE 2.5mv

Thanks!
macd
Interesting thread.

Phono amps are a bit of a mystery tp me. But I found Dougdeacon post very helpfull. Now I'm using me intergrated amplifiers phono stage. But sometimes I wonder wether it would be a good idea to buy a seperate phono amp. However with my current financial state a nice phono amp is out of the question.
I'm slowly clawing my way back into Vinyl LP's after 30 years having received a well preserved collection of albums from an estate sale. Now my collection is about six or seven feet wide (most discs are in pristine condition).

My original "plan" was to transcribe the Vinyl LP's (via PC) to CompactDisc's through an external Edirol/Roland USB soundcard at high sample rates for "archiving" onto hard drives and possible audio CD creation. I did some research and bought a Bellari VP130 phono amp which I tube rolled with a Tesla 12AX7 TE-ECC803S and hooked everything together using a five year old Gemini SA6000 "DJ" turntable (yikes!) with a Boston Audio Mat1 and a record weight with the carefully protractor aligned and balanced stock Audio Technica AT92E cart.

I plugged a set of (exremely modest)Sony MDR-V6 cans into the little Bellari phono stage and was actually quite impressed at the sound of several of the cleaner LP's that I dusted off with a moistened 25 year old Parastatik "Disc Preener" (a foam backed velvet cleaner tool).

I sat about thinking that dumping the output of good vinyl through a mediocre turntable into a computer that is only designed to create a 44.1Khz digital reproduction of audio that's being "cut off at the knees" by the very technology that lead mankind away from superior analogue, I figured I was quickly headed down the wrong path.

In a few weeks I bought a contemprary European belt drive turn table (not Thorens) with all the design upgrades to minimize vibration issues and a decent cartridge. The next logical step in my mind would be a tube integrated amp to replace the Sony home theatre receiver, though this brings me to the next question: will I experience a dramatic improvement in the subjective characteristics of the sound of vinyl LP playback if I replace the Bellari phono stage with another "high-end" phono stage?

I've already actually experienced the benefit of hearing a big improvement in the sound of vinyl LP playback by using the Bellari phono stage through my amp's "aux" input(instead of simply using my Sony solid state receiver's "phono" input connection), the graphite turntable mat and the record weight. But I guess I'm asking where the "cieling" is in the quest for better audio as it relates to improving the output of the MM cartridge by using a phono stage with perhaps more capability than the Bellari VP130 model?

Thanx in advance. (audio neophyte)
Frankleech-you were wise to pull in the reins on the lp 'archive' project while still using low-res digital storage. Copying LPs is a lot of work, and you really only want to do it once. Saying that, unless you have a really compelling reason to do this, you could take the simple, yet completely satisfying route-just play, and enjoy, the actual vinyl as needed. With decent care, they'll last forever.

As far as a PS upgrade, any move up must be considered along with the quality of the entire system, but I'd recommend doing some research, then buying used-you'll be able to do a long term audition of as many different models as you like, with re-selling as your road to little financial stress.
Thanx John,

You are right. I'm an experienced AstroMart-er and have gone thought quite an inventory of amatuer astronomy hardware in the past six years . . .

Regards,

Frank L.