How much Classe does a guy need?

I posted this in the speaker section but have moved it over to here.

The Classe does look like the kind of match Im looking for. Compared to the Krell KAV-250a. I was looking at the Classe would seem to be more musical and warmer. Which is what i prefer and will take an anylitical hit for that. The reviews of them mated to B&W CDM9s(similar to 703s)were favorable.
Theres alot of choice in the used Classe amp market. Now my speakers are rated at 200watts. The 200/201 and the 300/301 Classe amps are at 200 and 300 watts respectivly. Is over rating the speakers advisable? I was under the impression that ratings on speakers were at a given distorion for the max power. Therefore the cleaner the signal the more you could get away with over powering them. But also have to consider the peaks would be higher as well. Also under the impression that a 300 watt amp would be more dynamic as it wouldnt have to strain on producing enough power for dynamic passages(source has a dynamic range of 112db).

The cost for those amps range from $1,300 for a 200, $1,600 or $1,800 for a 201(1,800 is one with side heat sinks, later model), $1900 for a 300 and finally $2500 for a 301.

Would there be a useable diffrence between the 200 and 300 watt versions(i do listen at loud levels often)? If anyone has heard these amps id like to hear what if any diffrence in the sound was.

Once amps get a little older >5 yrs do they need new caps etc or is the life of them longer? In other words is there a point where an amp is getting a little old and one should factor in a rebuild.

Thanks
bozzy

Showing 1 response by ellery911