How much am I missing with SL1200 mk2?

Hi everybody,

Hope you are enjoying your Labor Day Weekend.

My system is:

Anthem 225i (using phono pre in rec)
Musical Fidelity A5.5 CD player
Usher CP 6311 speakers
Clean SL mk2 with AT cartridge 120e

How much am I missing with my SL opposed to a $1000-$1500 including cartridge more modern setup like Rega RP3, entry Clearaudio, VPI, etc?

I'm pretty happy with the current setup but have been told I am giving up a lot with the SL.

Your opinions are appreciated, just curious.

Thanks in advance,

Gary
uncledemp

Showing 6 responses by chakster

If you like Technics buy SP10 MK2 which is amazing turntable compared to cheap and dark sounding SL1210. I own both, even totally rewired 1210 with fluid damper and stock arm is far away from SP10 with tonearm of your choise.

With 1210 you need to replace the tonearm to a better one (sme, jelco, audiomods etc). It's not worth it as the SP10 is better and more flexible (with big plinth you can use "10 or "12 inch tonearm or even two arms on one plinth). Save movey on a better arm and better turntable is more reasonable than trying to upgrade SL1210 of any kind.

I use upgraded 1210 as second system and even with Technics EPC-100cMK3 or Glanz MFG-31L or Audio-Technica ART2000 it can't compete to my SL10 mk2 with Reed 3P "12 arm.

P.S. someone posted here that Denon 103 is a "good combination" with SL1210 stock tonearm. This is not true, it's the worst combination for low compliance Denon which works well on high mass tonearms ONLY! Technics SL1200 stock arm designed for cartridges of higher compliance, say 20-30cu @ 10Hz.

Johnny, SP10 cost under $1000 (used) and compete with $10 000 turntables, Teak Wood plinth for it cost $700 new, the rest is tonearm and cartridge.

Upgrading SL1200 is waste of money, i have done so with my two SL1200 ( rewired tonearm with cardas $25, changed external cable to Zu Audio Mission $150 used, fluid damper about $130, isonoe feets about £150, i have not replaced the arm cos it's another $450-1000 depents on the arm, you can also buy external power supply and lose more money on it)

It's a waste of money, better to sell the deck and buy a proper Hi-End SP10 mk2 and keep it forever!
These two thing will help you to improve the sound:
- Boston Audio mat 2 (one of the best)
- Isonoe feets for your sl1200
Zd542 there is NO factory made technics 1200/1210 with build in phono stage, DJs use mixer with phono stage, every mixer has phono input. That's how it works in the clubs and there is no need for build in preamps inside the decks for club use as there is a mixer (aka preamp) between the decks anyway.

p.s. ortofon concorde or any other ortofons for djs are the worst cartridges ever made, but very papular and very expensive compared to top quality Grado DJ200i which is the best sounding new DJ cartride.
Gary, what you mean: "A mat is on my list. I have the Isonoe footers already, but not the cones." ?

This is Isonoe construction:
http://www.isonoe.com/products/audio-isolation-system/

You don't need any cones with Isonoe, you don't even need sarbotane boots they offer as a bonus.

BTW they also offer tonearm base for SME 309, 4, 5 and "their own tonearm": http://www.isonoe.com/products/tonearms-base/

I never tried their arm, but isonoe feets are adjustable and fits very well and works just fine (also looks great on sl1200/1210).
Dear friends
With all my respect to SL1210 mk2 let's make it clear it's a hi-fi turntable, not a hi-end gear. Not even close to Technics hi-end decks from the 70s.

SL1200/1210 mk2, mk3, mk3D or mk5 are good for proffessional use in the clubs, it's a legendary dj turntable and i use them for 17 years already.

It's full of compromises in stock condition to make this deck affordable for mass market (professional market). They made millions of them, it was the best selling deck in the world. Anyway even for professionals the biggest problem is bass feedback and bad isolation (very bad stock feets construction) when djs use this deck in the clubs.

For those you want to use this deck in a better application they must solve all those compromises (bad wires, power supply, feets, tonearm). This deck was never designed to be the best Technics deck. The tonearm itself cost just $150 new! In the 90s the price for the new deck was about $390 in USA. What do you expect from the turntable for $400?

There are many other Technics turntables available for audiophiles. Those like SP10 mk2, mk3 made without compromises in construction. The price tag was higher, but it was true Hi-End! Technics EPA-100 tonearm cost $900 used today, the SP10mk2 easy to find for $1000 in perfect condition.

I have no idea why people wasting time and money with SL1200 mid-fi/hi-fi deck and invest money to solve the problems if they can easily buy true vintage hi-end Technics for very resonable price.

The stock tonearm of SL1200 ($150) is the biggest problem of this deck. I know only one company who used their own 1210 technics mod on Hi-End show. It was Zu Audio, but their modded deck was $4500 and now they use vintage Luxman with two tonearms. Anyway their modded sl1210 comes with Audiomods tonearm (UK) and low compliance Denon 103 (also their own version).

Jelco tonearm also designed not for high compliance cartridges, but very papular among technics sl1200 owners. Comes with build inn silicone damper (all togerher for $450).

Modern SME must be much better and more expensive, also the ugglies looking arm on this deck.

What else? Vintage SME? Modern Originlive? I don't know...

You're very limited with optional arm for SL1200, but with SP10 and good plinth you can use absolutely everything you like and it will be much better sounding deck of different class of performance.

P.S. SL1200 still ok for second system or as dj deck, but using it for main system will never give you satisfaction that other/better turntables can give.