How important is spending time with your gear?

In another topic we're talking about digital input speakers, and it got me thinking about something entirely different. 

How important is it to spend time physically close to your gear, vs. enjoying it's output?  If you could have your gear in another room, or closet, and you were left with just your speakers with no audible downside would you do it?  Would you put your gear away and enjoy the empty space or do you need the physical closeness?

Clearly turntables make this a challenge, and there will be some poopy heads which don't get the question or can't stretch their imagination but for those who can, would you?

erik_squires

Interesting question Erik not that it is all that important. 

Given the amount of misery in the world (things are going to get really f-ed up now) we all need diversions for enjoyment with friends, family and hobbies or we are all going to get seriously depressed. Spending time working with and adjusting your system is one way to stay happy. That is what being an audiophile is all about! Loving music is a conjoined but different endeavor. You do not need a stereo to enjoy music. Nor do you have to love music to be an audiophile, weird but it happens. People who will not listen to fabulous music because it is poorly recorded come to mind. 

You adjust your system to make the music sound as good or realistic as you can using live music and great recordings as a reference. You identify weaknesses and attack them as best you can. It is not something you finish. It is an ongoing endeavor because it is very difficult, expensive and elusive. This is what make it a challenge and fun.  

Unfortunately, there are factors that interfere with appropriate HiFi management and one needs to be careful. The marketing is vicious and you have to be careful how you interpret it. People always hawk what they do because they want to be right and many of them really want to help others along and may not realize they are perpetrating a myth of which there are thousands. Lastly, what you think you hear changes on a moment by moment basis. You have to be careful evaluating your own system and you have to take what other people think they hear with a grain of salt. It is just the way we are. Not that we should not talk about what we hear but you have to be very careful applying what others hear to your system and preferences. We are all human (well, most of us) and our your ears hear is being interpreted by our left temporal lobe which is a very flakey device.  

I initially thought it was ridiculous question but after reading the responses, think it's actually an interesting topic. I have had several different systems over 40+ years, many of which were very good for their time & often involved large speakers & big amps, solid state & tubes in a few different houses w/ different set ups.  They were all out in the open w/ everything exposed on different racks & shelves, some home made & some purchased. 

I recently did a substantial system change & upgrade which now includes a very nice Rogers EHF 200 Mark II tube integrated amp for two channel music listening (along w/ Votli Audio Rival speakers - I have a very large room & play music loud but still its more power than needed) w/ a home theater by pass being fed from my Anthem surround receiver for movie & TV watching w/ a center channel, surround speakers & a sub. I have an Oppo CD player & I also just got a music server (first one) & a DAC. I have an excellent Basis / Vector turntable set up (now for over 20 years!) that still sounds outstandingly good w/ a good recording  in good shape. Thus w/ all this stuff, I decided to get two Salamander equipment units enclosed w/ screen sides, screen doors & open backs to contain it all w/ the turntable sitting on top. You can just barely see the equipment through the doors which is fine by me & if I want to look at the stuff or play with it (rip a CD or select an input on the amp), I open the doors! . Everything has remotes that work well through the doors.

Best of both worlds for me. 

Interesting question Erik not that it is all that important. 

Agreed that it's not that important. :)

Having the gear in the same room where I listen is a convenience.

Beyond that, seeing the gear while listening is not important to me.

That's all I have to say about that.

All audiophile problems are linked to seeing the gear and not listen the room...