How important is Cartridge Overhang? Need help

Just received a Mint protractor for my Pro-ject 2 Xperience. I started the processes of setting the Overhang and it seems that my Ortofon HMC 20 can't achieve the proper overhang. The cartridge is maxed out to the front of the head shell and the result I get is: at the outside of the arc it sits perfectly and on the inside it sits behind the arc. I guess my question is this how important is overhang and if it is important is there a good compromise.Should I just get as close as I can and worry more about alignment?
128x128wilson667

Showing 4 responses by wilson667

Hi Tketcham
just wanted to add some info in hopes of finding a solution.All the measurements I have made on the Pro-ject 9C tonearm (carbon arm with attached aluminum head shell) are as follows:

Pivot to spindle, 212 mm
pivot to tip of head shell, 235mm
pivot to center of head shell slots, 228mm
cartridge mounting hole to stylus tip, 8.5mm

sorry I haven't been on in a bit . Dan_ed you are exactly right if the Mint had a C point that is where the stylus is landing and if you move the protractor so it lands on the arc near C then at A it is to the left of the arc.I have been talking with Yip at Mint and we have come to the conclusion that the Ortofon HMC 20 cartridge only has a Mounting Hole to Stylus Tip of 8.5mm instead of the standard 9.5mm. That looks to be the amount of adjustment missing. Since it looks like I may have to replace the cartridge does anyone have any suggestions on a sub $500.00 cart. with a known longer MHST measurement.Ortofon would be preferred just because of the trade in, but it is not a must
Thanx Hififile if I can figure out how to contact you off thread I will.

Measured everything today and sent photo to Yip. p2s is 212mm.
the measurement from pivot to the tip of the head shell is 235mm not the 230mm posted in spec.and the MHST on the HMC-20 is definitely 8.5mm. I played with the Mint some more last night(for about 2 hours) think I got things a little closer. so now it sits about a mm to the left at the outside or a point and a mm to the right at the other end.just doesn't ever land on both. I'll see what Yip says about the pics.

also Thank You to everyone for you help and suggestions it is very much appreciated
Rauliruegas,buy my measurements 230mm is not possible, The center of the head shell sot is at 228mm the slot is 6mm long witch means I can only go back a max of 3mm putting me at 225 mm add the MHST of 8.5mm and I get an effective length of 233.5. please correct me if I am wrong