How important is a preamp for purely digital sources?

I’m currently deciding if I need a pre-amp in my setup.
I’ll be using a Bluesound Node 2i as the source and a McIntosh MC7100 as the power amp.

the question is ... how much sound improvement will I get by adding a pre-amp knowing that all my source material will be digital? Will it be more beneficial if I add a quality external DAC instead?

Thanks!!
dookie30

Showing 2 responses by dan2956

I haven't used an active preamplifier since 2010, and I don't miss it, figuring that adding unnecessary circuitry to the signal path can only degrade the sound, especially if there's capacitors and op amps. I have a Luminous Audio Axiom 2 (a passive that costs $195). You get to remove  potentiometer from your signal path completely that way: the pot is shunted to ground, and a foil resistor is in the signal path. I found some of the responses amusing; about how people think their expensive preamplifiers add "depth of the soundstage", "clarity", "musicality", and "micro to macro dynamics". The DAC outputs are at the Redbook voltage level, and the signal doesn't need to be boosted any further before it gets fed into a power amplifier. There's usually two op amps in the output stage to convert current to voltage. 
Cables, are mostly snake oil, and differences are the most minute of any part of the audio chain, and are particularly small compared to those of the speakers. Don't understand why companies aren't being charged with fraud for making false claims about boutique cables. What's George Cardas new product now, the, "Cardas Clear Power Cable is George Cardas’ midrange Clear-series AC power cable.", which, "is designed for applications where you need a bit more current capacity and a higher degree of filtration than Clear M Power Cable, but you don't need a large, high-current power cable like Cardas Clear Beyond." Interconnect differences are inaudible for 95% of the general population if the connectors are clean and the wiring doesn’t add capacitance, or inductance. On the other hand, somebody would easily be able to tell that my power amp is on the warm side. If the system has EMI that happens to be picked up by the interconnects, then it's best to deal with that at the source. I have DH Labs Silver Sonic BL-1 Series II interconnects that I made myself specifically so I could make them as short as possible, and have heard zero difference compared to OEM cables, particularly with the short lengths that I use. It’s still available for $7 a ft on Ebay, and the ad says, "SILVER SONIC BL-1 Series II Interconnect is a high performance audio interconnect cable that combines the highest sound quality and reliability available at its price point. " Sure. Whatever that means. It's designed as balanced, and comes with a shield, but I don't use XLR in my system; my amp and sub can't do it. XLR had been designed for professional applications, to reject interference for the longer cables runs used in the field, and this could add little value to most amateurs.  People can reduce noise, by keeping cable runs short and away from noisy things like motors and VFD's. I have also used some BL-1 inside my power amp and that's the only place I’ve grounded the shield (it's a noisy power supply). You can use twisted pair cables to try and reject interference, but again, there's little of that in my system away from the power supplies. People can use ferrite beads or rings from Digikey to reject EMI in a a DAC or amp, or better yet, peel and stick foil. I have used it to try and keep power supply noise away from other parts of the circuitry. I can't detect how bad it is without an oscilloscope.