How I'd spend money given no limits

oldhvymec asked me this in another thread, and I thought it was worth sharing to hear how others might respond and spend for themselves.

Erik, if you could, would you. if you could and had all the means, would you buy the absolute best you could buy?

Maybe a better question is, would I drop a million dollars on a stereo system if I could? No, I can’t imagine unless this involves building a home around it. In large part because I don’t see the returns. Let me expand on this.

First, what is best? I completely and utterly want to burn down the idea that high-price = high-end. So, the question for me is, is there higher performing gear I could get given cost is no object? Don’t get me wrong. I don’t think you can get to great performance for free or what a covid economy would call cheap.

For me, much of this hobby was in building, not buying. I made my own speakers, which may sound like crap (but I like them!), but the pride of ownership is unparalleled. Anyone with a fat enough wallet can buy their way into the club and pretend to be part of the cognoscenti but when you build anything, even if from a kit, you are ahead of everyone who has not. If I had any amounts of money to spend in my version of this hobby I’d experiment with custom line arrays or for HT, high output MTM, and innovative bass traps. My money would go to 3D CAM based milling machines, and sawdust removal. I would also hang out on Audiogon laying waste to snake oil salesmen all day long.

In terms of electronics what have I heard I feel is the equal or better than what I own?

• Luxman
  • Ayre
  • D’Agostino
  • Vandersteen
  • CAT
So sure, I could see myself with a gorgeous looking D’Agostino stack but I’d have more fun with a room full of 30-75 W tube amps and integrateds. From Citation to CJ, Luxman and others, I think it would be much more fun to have colorful, juicy integrateds swapped in regularly than to assemble some sort of godlike equipment stack. Of course, if I do that I’d probably end up with some rather large JBL or Altec horn loaded speakers to offer enough output.

In another area, headphones, I probably would drop a lot more money than I have. The best audio at a show, ever, was from Audeze headphones driven by Woo Audio tube headphone preamp. I’d love to have that experience in my home again. BTW, that was a very long time ago, so if I did this again I’d definitely want to listen to Raal Earspeakers and other headphone amp/DACs.

Any remaining money I’d spend on supporting musical education and culture. Great musicians come from an environment that includes formal education, access to instruments and a thriving supportive community.

Best,

Erik

erik_squires
If no limit why’d you need recorded music and all that crap boxes to reproduce it !? I’d go with live music...hire profi musicians buy the best Stradivarius, Guarneris, Steinways, Fender stratocasters for them and Heaven is reached. 
+10*Xto the 3rd, Erik...*s*

I'd likely just play with my stuff and just advance on what I do....which is what I like to do.  Listening to what strikes my muse and fancy.

A CNC, for sure..a decent 3D printer while I'm shopping...

...but no sense getting spoiled by lotteries I don't play...;)
Season tickets for several world class symphony orchestras plus all the necessary 1st class round trip tickets and lodging for me and a select few of my classical music loving friends. 
Unlimited...? I love what I currently have so I would go to mono blocks simply because I think they are cool. 
Having spent a large portion of my life amongst such people, I promise you the only thing they have you do not is more choices.

With that comes huge input from people asking for funds continually for as many "worthy" causes as you can name.

Finally, if your huge wealth is well-known, you need to pretty much hide and so do your children.  That is what gated mansions and yachts really do.

Be happy with what you have.  As I have told my daughter ever since she was able to understand, most humans in the world live in dirt-floored huts with no sanitation or medical care.  Being born in the USA or any other developed nation is blessing enough.

Oh, I would spend a BUNDLE on Audio Research and Magnepan stuff and it would reproduce music better than anything else.

Cheers!