How good is the Technics 1200 Mk2 with all the KAb upgrades?

Guys while cleaning out my back room I found a new tech 1200 mk.2 that I bought years ago when kids were young- I forgot I even had it!!- It has pretty much all the KAB upgrades- How good a table is this compared to todays table- In other words how much would I need to spend to equal this table
If I keep it what upgrades would you recommend- thanks
fluffers

Showing 1 response by ghosthouse

@lak
I do remember psychic animal. His enthusiasm for the Technics was definitely an influence on my decision to buy a KAB mod’d. SL1210M5G.

Another contributor was when I called a dealer to inquire about VPI and he started telling me about a listening experience he had recently at someone’s house where a Technics table (KAB mod’d, I believe) was in use. He had been very impressed with the "quietness" of the table. There might have been other virtues, too. I don’t recall. I am NOT trying to say the Technics is better than a VPI or that the dealer was saying that, either.  BUT the fact a dealer started telling me about a table they didn’t sell made an impression. Ultimately, the Technics was a good match for me.  Don’t have the patience or dexterity that I think might be required to keep some twitchier high end table in good nick.

@fluffers
JohnnyB53 is another A’gon member to read. He has posted quite a bit about tweaks to his Technics table...tone arm wrap w/teflon tape is one that comes to mind. He also used the inexpensive cone footer replacement that I shared with him but subsequently he may have gone to a more sophisticated aftermarket footer.

It seems to me you have all the available KAB mods but why not email Kevin and see if there is anything new (the original KAB record clamp was a press on type with rubber friction grip. He offers a screw down clamp now. Not sure which you have.) You might want to experiment with platter mats. I’m using Herbie’s Way Excellent. Vibration isolation as has been mentioned provides significant benefit. I’m using a heavy hard wood cutting board under mine (along with some various elastomeric materials as footers under it). Obviously, there are more sophisticated (and pricier) purpose-built options available.

With many choices for phono pre and lots of compatible cartridges, you could spend many enjoyable hours finding ways to extract the best sound from the Technics you have right now. Good luck. Hope you keep and enjoy it.