How good is the Technics 1200 Mk2 with all the KAb upgrades?

Guys while cleaning out my back room I found a new tech 1200 mk.2 that I bought years ago when kids were young- I forgot I even had it!!- It has pretty much all the KAB upgrades- How good a table is this compared to todays table- In other words how much would I need to spend to equal this table
If I keep it what upgrades would you recommend- thanks
fluffers

Showing 1 response by andysf

I have a KAB modded 1200 with isonoe feet, damper, 78 rpm, an Achromat and upgraded headshells.  He was still working on the tonearm rewiring when I bought mine so I didn't get that done.

Since you bought yours, Kevin has come up with a couple more minor tweaks but nothing essential.  I think you have a great turntable now.  Only thing I would upgrade is the mat.  Herbie's mats are good too.  Both are available with a return policy so not much to lose by trying one.

I never thought clamps improved the sound on mine but YMMV.

I just put a Hana EL cartridge on mine and it sounds better than anything I have had before.

I bought my table many years ago when my old table broke down.  It was going to be a stopgap until I could find a "real" table.  From reading reviews online I was sure I wanted a VPI, a Scoutmaster, the one that "HW hit so far out of the park it isn't funny" as one writer put it.  The Scoutmaster turned out to be the only turntable I have ever completely disliked.  Wonky unipivot tonearm and anemic presentation of music really put me off.  Checked out a number of other tables as well and came to the conclusion that I would have to spend over $4000 to considerably improve on what I had. 

I was going to buy the 1200G but the upcoming SP 10R is messing with my mind!

Let us know what you think when you get yours going.  If you decide to sell it I don't think you will lose any of your investment.